Monday, January 11, 2016

Jeepneys, Donuts and Persevering

Hello Everyone!
Well first off to answer your questions, there is not a temple nearby, in fact there are only 2 temples in the Philippines.  I will not have the opportunity to go to the temple for the rest of these 2 years unfortunately.  I actually really like this ward.  Although it definitely needs some strengthening the members are so nice and really funny.  Also I have to come clean about something.  It has actually been bothering for me a while now.  I actually no longer wash my clothes by hand...  I just pay a member to clean my clothes for me hahaha.  Its relatively cheap and saves me time and they keep my whites white so that is an extra bonus. 
I am getting more and more used to Jeepneys.  Today I got on one because it is the cheapest way to travel into the city and they filled this thing.  If you want to talk about uncomfortable, I think jeepneys take the king.  I am talking my arms were twisted and angled across my chest.  I have one leg sticking into my companions thigh while my other one is jabbing into a stranger sitting in the middle, where there technically isn't a bench, but they fill these things up as much as possible.  By the time I get out of the Jeepney, half of my body is numb and the other half felt like it just worked out for a good 30 minutes straight.  I don't complain, I see it as an opportunity to work on my flexibility!  Haha and I feel like if you flex a muscle for that long it has to be getting stronger right? 
Oh so I also had donuts today for the first time in 6 months!  Holy cow it tasted like heaven on earth.  I forgot my taste buds had even existed until then!  I must've bought 5 chocolate donuts alone.  I also had some other various Filipino donut flavors. 
As for work here, we are working hard to reactivate as well as make some progress with our many investigators.  One day we were walking along this scenic route after coming from an area where every single one of our lessons weren't home.  As I walked I just pondered on why it can be so hard to find people sometimes.  As I did I started to look around at the beauty and the water buffalo and just came to a realization that behind every rough patch is a beautiful valley just waiting to be found.  I know that I have not had a lot of success with investigators so far, but I feel like if I keep pushing through these thorns, eventually I am going to find success.  I continue to read in the Bible and look at how hardened the hearts were of the Jews.  It only took them 30 days of not being in the presence of their Prophet to construct a golden calf.  It is actually a little saddening to see how easy a persons beliefs can be changed. 
Throughout my mission I have found so many evidences that just add to my testimony and let me know the church is true and there is no way that I can deny it.  I know that we as individuals need to really do our part and continue to study the gospel with a fervent desire to come to close.  If we come to a plateau, we will begin to lose our testimony and the Spiritual strength that comes with it.  I am not discouraged that the ward is small or that I have to get used to an area this big in 6 weeks.  I know that as I continue to come closer to Heavenly Father, He will provide a way for me to be successful in this mission. 
Well I am continuing to do well here.  I am really starting to draw a crowd when I go play basketball, especially after last week when I dunked on a hoop in a barangay and broke the hoop on accident... On that note I love you guys and here are some pics of me and my comp!
Love,
Elder Warren

Butter Flavored Corn Candy

Hanging out with a family and other Elders

Pic of my new comp in a rice field

Front selfie in a rice field

Side selfie in a rice field

My pet dog

Paradise!

No comments:

Post a Comment