Thursday, December 3, 2015

Eating Balut and Giant Attacking Spiders!!

Hello Everyone!

Well it sounds like you have had a fun and relaxing Thanksgiving break!  I really miss Thanksgiving, especially the part about food! 

Speaking of food this week I tried one of the weirdest foods of the Philippines.  That’s right, I ate a balut this week.  I honestly didn't even have time to react.  We arrived at the family's house and the Sister told me that she bought me a ballot to try and become a Filipino.  This woman loves to make me a Filipino. Trust me, when she decides you are going to become something, you become it.  Anyways, there in my hand was the egg.  I opened it up and it was pretty dang warm.  The first couple of bites I took were small, but once I got to about a quarter of the way down, I knew I just needed to eat it whole, like I would do back at home.  So I put on a good amount of salt and vinegar and finished it.  It honestly just tasted like an egg yolk, except you could feel the slimy feathers and feel the tiny crunch of bones.  Although I would not go out of my way to buy another one of these, it tasted fine.  I also had duck today. Although I am pretty sure I have already had it so that isn't much of a story.  

Anyways, now to the important stuff!  My teaching with the Canadian investigator is going really well!  Now I understand why I wasn't placed in an English speaking mission; it would've been too easy for me.  I whipped through one and a half lessons in 40 minutes! Of course I asked questions and made sure he understood but dang did it feel great!  I actually felt like everything I said was correct and I had no doubts!  He showed up to church this Sunday and we sat and talked about a lot of principles.  Unlike most investigators, he really accepted the law of tithing, which was a surprise.  It came up during our Sunday school lesson so I explained to him the importance of tithing.  Before we even were able to talk about the Word of Wisdom, he gave up drinking and smoking.  And that was after our first lesson.  I am very excited to see him progress, because his desire to serve the Lord is very strong... As well as talk about basketball.  He repeatedly told me that he wants to be my manager and that I should be practicing ball everyday to prepare for when I go home.  Maybe I should teach him the Missionary Handbook Guidelines... Hahaha.  

Well besides that, we continue to work hard with our ward and less active members.  I am starting to feel more happy now that I have a good investigator with a strong desire.  It reminds me of all of you back home.  I hope everyone is doing well back home.  I am now
going to attempt to send a mountain of pictures so bear with me!  I hope this works!  

Love you all!
Elder Warren

PS - Thank you so much for the package!  I can't wait to open my Christmas presents!


PSS - I forgot to mention a HUGE story back from last Monday.  Literally right after we finished emailing, we went to this place called AKIS. It is basically the best burger restaurant you will find in the Philippines haha.  As you can see, the burgers are huge there! Anyways, I go into the bathroom there and everything is fine.  When I am done, I look to my left right above the door to get out when I see a HUGE spider.  I am talking bigger than the palm of my hand.  I thought it was fake because it was like behind this flower decoration. Being me, I had to make sure it was fake, so I flicked its back.  To no surprise it MOVED!  It went behind the flower thing, but it was soo big that I could still see its legs sticking out.  I literally could not move.  I was shaking, hyperventilating, and sweating.  Spiders are my one fear.  I had to call my companion to help me out.  Of course first he proceeded to make fun of me, then he just killed it.  I thought I was gonna die.  The picture of it crumpled up and dead does not truly show the horribleness of the awful creature.  Yep that’s about it.  Love you guys!

Transfer Day

The HUGE Dead Spider

Where's the Beef?

Enjoying the Burgers

Getting ready to eat Balut

Down the Hatch!

Mmmm. Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment